1. I am recently obsessed with probably mundane but intriguing bugs in my apartment. I keep discovering new kinds of spiders and interestingly shaped other things that I don’t know (not to imply my place is overrun with critters, just that I have met some that I haven’t seen or noticed before). I have been sitting in my bathroom or in my bedroom taking blurry photos with my phone. And by blurry, I mean unrecognizable.
2. Chili peppers in everything and/or hot sauce on everything.
3. Ben Schwartz. In everything. Parks and Rec as Jean-Ralphio, in particular. To use an already overused term, adorkable. And High-LARIOUS, in my opinion anyway. On that same entertainment note, in between my writing and job hunting (or maybe it’s more like my writing is in between my own personal entertainment) I am working my way through already well-viewed and loved episodes of Community and Arrested Development. Jason Bateman, incidentally, was my first childhood crush. Yes, I’ve always been a realist.
4. Brightly coloured everything. It’s hard to imagine myself as a late teens, early 20 something who loved black and white and black and white. Clothes…black. Furniture…white. Posters on walls…black and white romantic scenes (or sepia toned) of lovers parting ways at a train station or a little boy and girl holding hands or…many variations on this theme. I was also a big fan of mint green. For way too long. Now, I am spastically keen on glaringly bright hues.
Teen me would never believe it. Fought my mom tooth and nail to buy an olive green dress once…probably mostly because she said I would look ugly in it (then, after adolescent fit in Le Chateau, she back pedaled, told me to shush, and explained that she meant the colour would look ugly on me…just another famous Marilynn Greenway open mouth insert foot-ism…this one being quite mild but… well, teen girls don’t want the word ugly anywhere near them).
5. Reminiscing about college. Today, I was pining over the good ole school days. Absolutely positively my best o’times. Consistently so. I didn’t like high school much, for the most part, and wasn’t a great student throughout grade 12 in particular. And while I did have quite a number of friends(though remaining a middle of the road gal..neither a reviled nerd nor a part of the PK (popular kids) gang), I really hit my stride and came into my own in Uni. I have only had one other similar experience at one of my jobs, where I felt comfortable, confident, well-liked, accepted, invited (of course, not 100% of the time, because a neurose-free Leanna would be not me). Sadly, these times didn’t and couldn’t last forever. I remember that time so fondly that I know it’s unfair to my present life. I will be forever grateful for those moments though. It made learning awesome again.
6. Running through spray parks. Enough said, as in, is further explanation really necessary here?
9. Train museums
10. And, last but not least, getting a letter in the mail today from my dear Kiwi friend, Erin. Huzzah! I heart pen pals:)
And bonus #11…getting some job related stuff accomplished.
Bonus bonus #12..re-enjoying my Surrey Writers Conference Certificate Win. Super huge HUZZAH EXTRA GOOD TIME FUNNERY!